Law Office of Michael Tonder, P.C.

65 Pineville Road, Suite 2
Monroeville, AL 36460

P.O. Box 337
Excel, AL 36439‎


Monthly Archives: August 2013

K1 Visa

K1 Visa.

What is a K1 Visa?  A K1 Visa is used to get a foreign fiancée to the U.S. in order to get married.   The procedure to obtain a K1 Visa is as follows:

First, the U.S. citizen petitions for the foreign fiancée via form I-129f.   The U.S. citizen will have to prove that he or she has met their foreign fiancée in person within the last two years.

Once USCIS approves the petition, it will send the petition to the U.S. Consulate where the foreign fiancée will apply for a nonimmigrant visa.  The U.S. Embassy or Consulate will notify the foreign fiancée to get a medical examination and also attend an interview.  The foreign fiancée will have to fill out many forms to submit to the Consulate.

If the application is approved, the foreign fiancée will be issued a visa to travel to the United States.  Once the foreign fiancée arrives in the United States they will be inspected and if granted admission, have 90 days to marry their U.S. Citizen fiancée.

Once married, an application to adjust status to a Legal Permanent Residence (LPR or Green Card holder) can be filed.

As with most immigration issues, the K1 Visa process can be very tricky.  If your fiancée is a citizen of another country and not currently in the U.S., please speak with an immigration attorney to insure the visa petition goes as smoothly as possible.